Our animal behavior consultations are offered throughout the United States (travel fees may apply). We also offer virtual consultations globally in multiple languages. Our consultations include the following:
- A detailed and personalized Behavior Support Plan created by a behavior scientist
- Behavior & wellness information guides
- Email/phone support for the duration of your consult period
The amount of sessions needed is determined as we collect data on your situation since this is dependent on the following factors:
- The severity and complexity of the behavior issue(s)
- The amount of time you are able to dedicate to behavior modification
- The number of animals in the environment
- How much environmental modification is practical and feasible for your situation
- Each individual’s preferred learning style and speed
- Underlying medical concerns or accommodations needed within the household
For the first consultation, we ask clients to plan for 1-2 hours. There is a lot of background information and getting to know the animal(s) on the first visit. We send a short, 1-page preliminary report within 72 hours so you can get started immediately on helping your animal(s). We send your Behavior Support Plan within 2 weeks depending on the complexity of your case. Unlimited email (or phone) support is provided with each scheduled session. Although we generally cannot offer any promises or guarantees on how long it will take to achieve desired results, we do try our best to review your case and make an educated guess on how many sessions will be needed.
We also offer email/phone consultations for minor concerns or questions. These consultations do not include a Behavior Support Plan, information guides, or unlimited email/phone support.
Ludar Animal Behavior is committed to accessibility. We make every effort within our ability to provide services that are accessible to all people regardless of socioeconomic status and/or disability. Please email us with questions, suggestions, or concerns.
Virtual Behavior Consultations – Mixed Species
$150 – 1 hour
Virtual (Web-based) behavior & wellness consultations are offered via skype and zoom. These are offered for all species.
Virtual consults include:
- Preliminary report available within 72 hours.
- Detailed and personalized Behavior Support Plan available within 1-2 weeks.
- Wellness and behavior information guides.
- Unlimited email support during your consult period.
- Video demonstrations.
Payment for virtual consultations must be made via venmo, paypal, or Square on the day of your consult. A cancellation fee of up to $150 may occur but are situational-based. Financial assistance is offered on a case-by-case basis.
Decolonizing Yourself or Your Organization
[Cultural competency, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Services]
For all cultural competency, diversity, equity, and inclusion-oriented education we must first discuss the details of your organization, business, practice, etc. Our pricing is determined based on the scale of the project and the scope. The initial consult is free but we do recommend making a donation to our DEI Fund for our time and expertise as a minority-owned business.
We have provided lectures and workshops to psychologists, veterinarians, teachers, other animal trainers/behavior professionals, and more (the list is always growing). We utilize an anti-oppression framework to help individuals, businesses, and so forth, develop an in-depth analysis of racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, classism, ableism, and ageism. Our goal is to help anyone seeking our expertise learn how to provide an inclusive space for as many types of identities as possible. Since decolonization is a process, not just a one-time event, we will lay the groundwork for you and meet you wherever you are. However, we may recommend additional professionals & services for you to seek out in the future once our work is completed together.
Email/Phone Animal Behavior/Wellness Consultation
$50 – 30 minutes
Some minor behavior issues or training concerns can be addressed via email or phone. Email email@example.com for more info.
In-Person Consultation – Feline
$150 to $250 – 1 to 2 hours
In-home behavior and wellness consultation for cats cost $150 to $250 per session depending on how many cats and the behavior issue(s). For the first session, we ask that clients plan for 1.5 hours. After your first session, follow-up visits are 30-45 minutes and have a $100 fixed rate or $50 for virtual-only follow-ups.
Common feline issues we encounter include but are not limited to the following:
- Aggression (towards humans, other animals)
- House soiling/inappropriate elimination
- Excessive vocalizations
- Annoyance behaviors (begging for food, jumping on countertops and other surfaces)
- Destructive behavior (scratching, chewing, digging)
- Unable to administer medications
- Difficulty with carriers, car rides, grooming, vet trips & veterinary/husbandry procedures
Kitten Kindergarten Program:
Our kitten kindergarten program is for cats under 1 year. This is a 4-week program that meets once per week online and costs $100. Our in-person program costs $125 plus travel. Admission is rolling so we start when your family is ready to begin conveniently on your schedule.
Why choose our program?
Our program is science-based and developed by several animal professionals. Our program has been designed by behavior experts, veterinarians, and other animal health professionals.
What is Kitten Kindergarten?
Kitten Kindergarten is a socialization, training, and education program. The program focuses on integrating your kitten into your family, teaching your kitten manners, and instructing owners on feline behavior, as well as how to recognize and prevent common behavior and health problems.
Kitten socialization is accelerated when compared to canines. The sensitive period of socialization (when a kitten is most able to learn appropriate social behavior) occurs between the 2nd and 7th week of life, social play develops from 6 to 12 weeks old, with social fighting and fearful playing starting at Week 14. Socializing kittens is essential to having a well-mannered adult cat.
Learn more about kitten socialization here.
In-Person Consultation – Canine
$150-500 – 1-2 hours
We provide one on one, in-home behavior modification and training services for canines. If you are looking for group classes such as puppy classes, agility, nose work, etc we highly recommend looking for positive reinforcement-based trainers in your area. We will not use shock collars. But we are happy to help teach you how to move away from the use of them.
We often work with serious behavior issues for canines on DVM referral. Pricing varies from $150-500 depending on the issue(s) and how many dogs are in the home. Please contact us to see if we can help.
Common issues we help with:
- Destructive behaviors (chewing, digging, etc)
- Excessive vocalization (whining, barking, howling)
- ‘Attention’ (care) seeking behaviors (begging, mouthing, jumping)
- Difficulty getting to go into a crate, car, room
- Difficulty with veterinary/husbandry tasks such as nail trims, ear cleanings, vaccinations, etc
Ask about our rescue/shelter packages!
In-Person Consultation – Swine
$150 – 1 to 1.5 hours
In-home behavior and wellness consultation for pigs cost $150 per session. For the initial consultation, we ask clients to plan for 1.5 hours.
Common pig issues we encounter include but are not limited to the following:
- Aggression (towards humans or other animals, food/resource aggression)
- Destructive behaviors (rooting, digging, chewing)
- House-soiling (potty training issues, inappropriate elimination)
- Annoyance behaviors (excessive vocalizations, whining, screaming, etc)
- Difficulty administering medications, performing hoof trims, getting in/out of a car, & taking to the vet
In-Person Consultation – Ferret
For your initial consultation, please plan on 1 hour.
Common ferret issues we encounter:
- Aggression (towards people & other animals)
- Rough play (play biting)
- Litter box training & inappropriate elimination
- Destructive behaviors (chewing, digging, scratching)
- Difficulty administering medication, restraining, trimming nails, getting to go into cages/carriers
- Difficulty with grooming, vet trips & veterinary/husbandry procedures
In-Person Consultation – Lagomorph (Rabbit)
$100 – 1 to 2 hours
Common rabbit issues we encounter:
- Litter box training issues & inappropriate elimination
- Destructive behavior such as chewing (especially wires!), scratching, digging
- Biting & rough play
- Aggression towards humans & pets
- Noise phobias, fear & anxiety issues
- Difficulty administering medication, trimming nails, restraining/handling
- Difficulty getting to go into a carrier, crate, room
- Difficulty with grooming, vet trips & veterinary/husbandry procedures
Ask about our rescue/shelter packages!
In-Person Consultation – Avian (Birds)
$100-400 – 1 to 2 hours
Our avian behavior and wellness consultation prices are dependent on the type of bird and how many we will be working with. Please email us for a more exact estimate.
Common avian issues we encounter include but are not limited to the following:
- Self-mutilation such as feather plucking
- Aggression & biting
- Anxieties, fear (especially car rides), noise phobias
- Excessive vocalizations such as screaming
- Destructive behavior
- Difficulty administering medication, handling, putting into a carrier/crate, taking to the vet & issues with veterinary/husbandry procedures
Do you want to train your chicken(s)? We offer special rates for chicken clicker training. 1-hour sessions for chickens are $50.
In-Person Consultation – Small Mammals
$50 to $200
In-home behavior and wellness consultation for small mammals vary from $50 to $200 depending on the species and circumstances. Small mammal species we have worked with include but are not limited to the following: mice, rats, hamsters, gerbils, degus, sugar gliders, and chinchillas. We cover a wide range of topics from behavior to nutrition for these small pets. Just because they come in a smaller package, does not mean they are any less deserving of love and high-quality care.
- Biting, chewing, gnawing, general destructive behaviors
- Potty training
- Annoyance behaviors (keeping owners awake at night, difficulty with handling/restraining)
- Difficulty trimming nails or administering medications
- Trouble ensuring nutritional needs are met
- Creating enrichment items
In-Person Consultation – Reptiles and Amphibians
Pricing is dependent on the type of reptile/amphibian. Please contact us for a more exact estimate. Species we’ve worked with include but are not limited too; alligators, turtles/tortoises, snakes, lizards, skinks, frogs, toads, salamanders, axolotls, hellbenders, newts, and much more!
In-Person Consultation – Equine
Starting at $300
We offer positive reinforcement focused, horse behavior modification, and training. We specialize in stereotypical behaviors such as cribbing, lignophagia, pica, stall kicking, stall walking/weaving, etc.
Currently, we only offer ground-level work, no riding. If you are seeking information regarding AAT/AAI & equine psychotherapy work, please email us.
In-Person Consultation – Primates
Please contact us for a more precise price for primates. We have worked with several species of new-world and old-world primates. Our ability to assist with primates varies widely based on your location, local regulations, vaccination requirements, and insurance.
In-Person Consult – Aquatic Animal Services
Starting at $300
Pricing is dependent on the type of animal and if scuba diving will be required. Please contact us for a more exact estimate. Animals we have worked with include sharks, rays, manatees, turtles, fish.
Aquarium Set-Up and Maintenance – Freshwater
Starting at $50 – 2 hours
We offer freshwater aquarium setup and maintenance. Our base rate is $50 plus $1 per gallon. We provide our own supplies and have a 50-foot python system with multiple adapters.
Petsitting and Dog Walking
We only offer these services to current behavior clients. Please contact us for more information.
Peer support is when people use their own experiences to help each other. This is what we strive to do on a “pay what you can” basis to fellow professionals from non-dominant identities. We primarily focus on peer support for Romani (GRT), Indigenous (Native), Disabled, Neurodivergent, unhoused and/or working-class (low income) peoples.
Peer support can consist of sharing knowledge or providing emotional support, generalized social interaction, or practical help with day-to-day life tasks. Your information is kept confidential always. Although we are NOT medical professionals, we strive to follow HIPAA privacy rules.
Our goal is harm reduction and we are NOT mandated reporters. Our peer support services are funded partially through generous donations to our DEIJ Fund. We strive to offer free, group events when we can. Please contact us with any questions. We are NOT a crisis service.
If you are in crisis…
- The National Sexual Assault Hotline (USA): 800-656-HOPE (4673). This is available 24/7 in English and Spanish, and they also have a chat function on their website.
- Deaf/hard of hearing: Text the word DEAF to 741741 and be connected with a free Crisis Counselor.
- The Trevor Project (LGBTQIA+ youth)
- Trans Lifeline 24/7: 1-877-565-8860
- LGBT National Hotline: 1-888-843-4564
- APA List of Crisis Support